A fallen tree can be put to many uses. The trunk and heavy limbs, in particular, can be cut for firewood or timber. But what of the small branches and twigs? Better still, how do you dispose of the leaves? Instead of burning or hauling away, how about turning them into mulch? After all, you can make good compost out of it. A wood chipper/shredder is your best tool for the job. However, there are hundreds of models flooding the market. Thus, shopping for the best wood chippers can be an arduous task.
Luckily, we’ve got you covered with a list of the best chipper shredders on the market. We hope it will help a lot in choosing the best model for your needs.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Wood Chippers Reviews
- 10. Sun Joe CJ602E 15-Amp Electric Wood Chipper Shredder
- 9. Earthwise GS70015 15-Amp Garden Corded Electric Wood Shredder
- 8. Landworks Portable Electric Wood Chippers for Lawn & Garden
- 7. WEN 41121 15-Amp Rolling Industrial Wood Chippers and Shredder
- 6. Sun Joe CJ603E 15-Amp Electric Silent Wood Chipper
- 5. Patriot Products Commercial Wood Chipper & Leaf Shredder
- 4. PowerSmart PS10 15-Amp Electric Garden Wood Chipper Shredder
- 3. LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Chipper Shredder
- 2. SuperHandy Electric Wood Chipper- Wood Shredder
- 1. Sun Joe CJ601E 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder
Table of the Best Wood Chippers Reviews
10. Sun Joe CJ602E 15-Amp Electric Wood Chipper Shredder
One thing we love about this wood chipper is the small, minimal design. It makes it exceptionally light at 25 pounds. Together with the 6-inch wheels, it takes less effort to move around. The 15 amp motor is intended for light tasks. However, it can chip and shred branches up to 1.5 inches thick. That’s quite impressive for a machine its size. Not to mention, it turns leaves and trimmings into usable mulch. In fact, it decreases yard waste to under 6%.
At 4,300 RPM, this machine bites twigs pretty fast. The best part, it does so without producing a lot of noise. For the record, this wood chipper has a noise level of 113dB. That’s quite low compared to the gas-chugging wood chippers. Moreover, it’s practically maintenance-free and easy to assemble.
- A locking knob keeps the motor from running when opened
- Compact design offers easy portability
- Powerful 15-amp motor shreds branch up to 1.5 inches thick
9. Earthwise GS70015 15-Amp Garden Corded Electric Wood Shredder
Most electric wood chippers handle branches up to 1.5 inches thick. But here is a model that shreds branches as thick as 1.75 inches. Again, it handles almost all types of dry materials. The motor runs pretty fast at 4,500 RPM. Hence, it quickly shreds sticks and yard debris into fresh mulch.
Keep in mind; this is a feature-rich wood chipper. As such, it’s among the most versatile out there. Take the 40-liter collection bin, for instance. It’s a feature you rarely find in other models. In fact, it’s more practical than having to fit a collection bag. Assembling the machine is pretty straightforward.
- A tamper tool and wide chute keep your hands free and safe
- 40-litre collection bin makes it a more practical choice
- Durable back wheels allow for easy transportation
8. Landworks Portable Electric Wood Chippers for Lawn & Garden
This wood chipper caters to homeowners with a small patch of land. Despite the size, you’ll be impressed by the features it has to offer. First, the 15-amp motor handles all manner of branches and twigs. It can’t chip or shred bamboo. However, it tackles softwoods up to 1.5 inches thick with ease. And for hardwoods slightly smaller, this wood chipper is sure to deliver.
There’s more to love about this wood chipper than just power. For instance, it has dual-edge blades. These give longevity and extended use. Again, it has a reduction ratio of 17:1. That means it can reduce yard waste by up to 94%. The best part, it makes the entire process seamless.
- A sturdy push paddle allows you to feed in materials safely
- Polypropylene body offers added durability
- Certified safety standard
7. WEN 41121 15-Amp Rolling Industrial Wood Chippers and Shredder
There are lots of things that people tend to ignore when buying a wood chipper. But as insignificant as they sound, they can make a difference. Take the colouring of this wood chipper, for instance. The black and large orange accents make it easy to see on a foggy day. That aside, twigs and smaller branches are no match for this machine. It shreds branches up to 1.5 inches thick. Also, it has one of the fastest motor speed. For the record, it provides up to 8,000 cuts per minute.
The hopper is reasonably sized. Hence, you can’t feed too much and jam the machine. The package includes a push stick to save your fingers. The collection bag might not look like much. But, it’s something you don’t get in most models. After all, it makes it easier to collect mulch to avoid leaving a mess.
- Colourful accents offer high visibility
- Incredible motor speed (8,000 cuts per minute)
- 7-inch steel blades stay sharp for longer
6. Sun Joe CJ603E 15-Amp Electric Silent Wood Chipper
Sun Joe has several wood chippers in its arsenal. And the CJ603E is its latest model. It has enhanced capabilities and performance over the previous models. So, if you’re looking to upgrade from the CJ602E, this is your best bet. Like the CJ602E, it has a 15-amp motor. However, the squirrel cage style rotor allows it to run slower. It reduces noise considerably without sacrificing power.
Most electric wood chippers require you to force in the twigs into the hopper. But this wood chipper is an exception. It has a self-feeding mechanism to save you the hard work. Again, it chips branches as thick as 1.7 inches. Not to mention, it chips down materials to 5% the original volume.
- A quiet squirrel cage motor
- A self-feeding mechanism saves you the hard work of forcing in twigs
- Forward/reverse switch makes it easy to unjam the blades
- Impressive reduction ratio (Reduces yard debris by 95%)
5. Patriot Products Commercial Wood Chipper & Leaf Shredder
Most electric wood chippers are insufficient in covering extensive grounds. Well, here’s an exception, the CS-2515. It handles more than a small backyard, making it a plus for most people. Again, the 1.5 horsepower motor gives impressive cutting capacity. It can chop branches up to 2.5 inches thick and cut right through leaves.
At 95 pounds, this wood chipper might seem heavy. But it’s fairly lightweight for all the features and power if offers. Not to mention, it comes with wheels. So, it’s easier to manoeuvre, even over rough terrain. This electric wood shredder is more expensive. However, high-quality construction and durability are worth the cost.
- 5-inch cutting capacity is above average
- Quiet motor is ideal for residential areas
- Includes a collection bag for holding processed material
4. PowerSmart PS10 15-Amp Electric Garden Wood Chipper Shredder
It might not be the lightest electric wood chipper out there. But at 33 pounds, it gives you an easy time moving around. Again, this is no flimsy machine. It has a heavy-duty plastic body and a sturdy metal frame. Hence, it’s durable enough for prolonged use. Like most models on the list, it runs on a 15-amp motor. Overall, it can tackle branches as thick as 1-5/8 inches. That makes it ideal for light-duty tasks.
For a machine like a wood chipper, safety is a major concern. For this reason, the PS10 offers a safety hopper locking knob. This helps prevent the motor from operating while open. Furthermore, it comes with a tamper tool to force in branches.
- Lightweight construction offers excellent portability
- Hopper locking knob offers added safety
- Includes a tamper tool to protect your fingers
3. LawnMaster FD1501 Electric Chipper Shredder
LawnMaster FD1501 is among the most affordable wood chippers out there. But that doesn’t mean it skimps on quality and performance. In fact, it’s among the best for light-duty tasks around the home. Using a 15-amp motor, it reduces yard debris by up to 90%. In comparison, most models shred down debris by up to 94%. So, if you’re a fan of medium to coarse mulch, this machine will suffice.
This electric wood chipper is for branches up to 1.5 inches thick. It makes easy work of softwoods, such as spruce and pine. But that doesn’t mean it can’t shred hardwoods. For the record, it can chip hardwoods the likes of oak and beechwood, only a little less thick.
- A collection bag cuts down on the mess
- Large 8-inch wheels offer excellent mobility over different terrain
- Includes a push stick for safety
2. SuperHandy Electric Wood Chipper- Wood Shredder
As the name suggests, this is one handy electric wood chipper. First, it has an ultra-lightweight construction for portable convenience. It does so without skimping on quality. Take the housing, for instance. It comes in heavy-duty plastic, making it less likely to dent. Hence, it offers protection to the rotor assembly.
Instead of standard blades, this machine has dual-edge blades. Plus, the blades are reversible. Overall, they provide maximum chipping capability. Well, this electric wood chipper tackles branches up to 1.57 inches thick. The reduction rate is around 94%. So, it’s going to clear most of the debris off your yard.
- Reversible dual-edge blades are built for endurance
- A belt-driven motor dampens noise and vibrations
1. Sun Joe CJ601E 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Shredder
Sun Joe CJ601E is our top choice of small wood chippers. It’s light and very compact. Again, it has wheels, making it super easy to transport and store. But let not the small size fool you. This wood chipper packs a lot of power under its hood. The 14-amp motor creates speeds of up to 4,300 RPM. Besides, it has plenty of power to tackle branches up to 1.5 inches thick.
A safety knob turns off the motor the instant you open the hopper. It’s an excellent safety feature, especially if you have kids around. Furthermore, this wood chipper is virtually maintenance-free. Therefore, it significantly saves the operating cost.
- A compact space-saving design
- Runs virtually maintenance-free
- Excellent power to size ratio (Chips branches up to 1.5 inches thick)