From busy life, unfavourable weather conditions, to feel uncomfortable in front of strangers, there are a ton of things that can keep you from going out to the gym. But why trouble yourself when lots and lots of people are getting fit in the comfort of their homes. For the most part, you can manage your own time, work at your own pace, and even have some snacks close by. And should you need a machine for a hardcore workout, then look no further than an indoor rowing machine. Using the same principle as a boat, this machine makes an excellent choice for switching up your cardio routine. Moreover, it works up your entire body in a way that few fitness machines can. But with the many different styles and features, how do you pick the best rowing machines on the market?
In most cases, high quality comes with an expensive price tag. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t get a great and reliable rowing machine at budget-friendly prices. In this article, we’ve done our best to find the top 10 rowing machines that will help in your fitness goals without putting a dent in your pocket. Well, read more to find out.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best Rowing Machines Reviews
- 10. Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
- 9. Stamina ATS Air Rower – 35-1402
- 8. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machines
- 7. Merax Magnetic Exercise Rower Adjustable Rowing Machine Workout
- 6. GOPLUS 250 lb Weight Hydraulic Rowing Machine with Resistance and Arm Extensions
- 5. XTERRA Fitness ERG200 Folding Magnetic Resistance Rower
- 4. Sunny Health & Fitness RW5606 Rowing Machine Ergometer with Digital Monitor
- 3. EFITMENT Aero Air Fan Rowing Machine
- 2. GOPLUS Indoor Full Body Exercise Water Rowing Machine with Heart Rate Sensor
- 1. Marcy Foldable Magnetic Resistance Rowing Machine with Wheels
Table of the Best Rowing Machines Reviews
10. Concept2 Model D Indoor Rowing Machine
This rowing machine has gained considerable popularity in the fitness community. To begin with, it packs everything you need for a smooth yet powerful total body workout. The frame, while sturdy, is simple to separate into two for easy storage after use. Also, the machine has a noticeably larger flywheel that provides a quiet rowing motion. And with the ergonomic design, this rowing machine is not only comfortable, but it also gives added safety. Overall, it keeps the hands and the arms in a natural position while rowing.
- High-tech PM5 monitor keeps track of fitness data
- Damper setting controls airflow
- Supports USB drive and PC connection to save and store workout data
- Adjustable footrests fit most users
- 500-pound weight limit
9. Stamina ATS Air Rower – 35-1402
Stamina 1402, is by all means, and all-around rowing machine. Well, this is an air resistance rowing machine that uses a fan and a flywheel to create resistance. Though there’s no knob to adjust resistance, you can adjust it based on your rowing speed. As a result, this machine makes an ideal choice for persons of all fitness levels. The seat rail is angled to provide a smooth and easy return stroke. This rowing machine has a sturdy steel frame and oversized aluminium rail. So, it’s a machine that is going to last a long while. By the way, the machine supports users up to 250 pounds.
- Multifunctional three-window monitor
- Adjustable high-strength nylon straps
- Large footplates accommodate users of all sizes
- Built-in wheels for easy portability
- Frame folds for simpler storage
8. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machines
Finally, we have ourselves a magnetic rowing machine. And the best part, it’s as affordable as it can get. To begin with, this machine uses magnetic resistance. As a result, it offers a silent, smooth, and reliable rowing motion. By turning a knob, you can adjust it to 8 different resistance levels. So, people with varying fitness levels have a lot of room to grow. The machine has a large LCD monitor that displays fitness data. Furthermore, the monitor runs on batteries to eliminate the need for an electric outlet. A heavy-duty steel frame provides excellent build quality.
- Ergonomic padded seat and non-slip handlebars
- Folds up for storage in as little as under 30 seconds
- Fits users up to 6 feet 7 inches and 250 pounds
- Extremely easy to assemble
7. Merax Magnetic Exercise Rower Adjustable Rowing Machine Workout
Merax makes an excellent entry-level rowing machine for home use. When you compare to most rower machines of its price range, it offers a little extra in terms of construction and aesthetics. Besides, it gives a decent full-body workout. Except for the plastic covers, this machine comes in sturdy and durable steel. Fully assembled, it can fit users up to 6 feet and 2 inches. The rail is angled at 15 degrees. So, unlike horizontal rowing machines, it has a faster recovery phase and gives a more consistent workout for the legs. The footrests can tilt forward or backwards and have velcro straps for added stability.
- 8 levels of magnetic resistance ideal for light to medium workouts
- Easy-to-use fitness meter
- Comfortable sliding beam fits most users
- Wheels for easy transportation
- 264-pound weight capacity
6. GOPLUS 250 lb Weight Hydraulic Rowing Machine with Resistance and Arm Extensions
The design of Goplus rowing machine looks quite simple. But let not that fool you. It’s among the most effective rowing machines out there. To start with, it provides adjustable hydraulic resistance of up to 200 pounds. So, this is one rowing machine that accommodates a variety of exercises. This machine simulates real rowing and has a large sliding seat for added comfort. And like paddles on water, it’s balanced on both sides. Well, Goplus rowing machine has a solid steel frame that can hold up to 220 pounds.
- LCD fitness monitor
- Large pivot pedals accommodate a wide range of foot sizes
- Footsteps allow sliding at any angle
- Exercises more than 90% muscles
- Lightweight construction (30 pounds)
5. XTERRA Fitness ERG200 Folding Magnetic Resistance Rower
ERG200 is possibly the most affordable rower machine in the ERG rower line. It has aluminium rails and generates magnetic resistance to give a smooth rowing motion. Apart from that, you can easily adjust the resistance across 8 different levels. The seat is noticeably large and contoured for added comfort. The pedals, on the other hand, are adjustable to keep them at the right angle. The machine has a 3.7-inch LCD monitor. And the best part, you can angle it for easy viewing. Furthermore, the machine has wheels for easy movement.
- 4 pre-programmed workouts for time, count, calories burned, and distance
- 9-pound flywheel
- Compact frame folds for storage
- 250-pound weight limit
4. Sunny Health & Fitness RW5606 Rowing Machine Ergometer with Digital Monitor
This is among the cheapest rowing machines out there. Nonetheless, it delivers excellent performance. Every stroke is not only low-impact, but it also works for all major muscle groups. The machine uses elastic cords to provide resistance. Not to mention, the tension is adjustable to 4 different levels. The frame, besides being compact, is foldable. Hence, it makes storage a whole lot easier. The machine uses a digital monitor to keep track of your fitness data. Additionally, it can hold users up to 220 pounds.
- Foot levellers keep the machine stable, even on uneven floor
- Large non-slip pedals fit all sizes of feet
- The oversized angled seat provides added comfort
3. EFITMENT Aero Air Fan Rowing Machine
As the name suggests, this machine offers a progressive air resistance. So, the harder you pull, the higher the resistance. The slide rails, which measures 51.8 inches long, comes in solid steel. As a result, it can withstand even the most intense workouts. Not to mention, it can hold up to 245 pounds. Extra-thick wheels give you an added advantage during transportation. Should you choose, you can fold it up to save space. Also, the machine has a front-facing vent that keeps you cool after each stroke.
- Smooth, maintenance-free fan resistance
- Ergonomic foot pedals offer added comfort and stability
- Onboard digital display provides real-time monitoring
2. GOPLUS Indoor Full Body Exercise Water Rowing Machine with Heart Rate Sensor
This machine creates a realistic and quiet rowing motion. While it may not look as stylish as the wooden rower machine, you get it at less than half the price. Besides, it has quality construction. The frame, for instance, is heavy-duty steel. It holds up to 220 pounds, making it an ideal choice for the big guys. The beam, on the other hand, is made of aluminium alloy. Hence, it’s less likely to rust. The machine has a PU seat that offers a smooth glide. The pedals are adjustable. So, no matter your size, it will give a proper fit.
- Adjustable water resistance
- Compatible with fitness tracking apps
- The large LCD exercise monitor
- Integrated phone storage
- Hand pump for removing water
1. Marcy Foldable Magnetic Resistance Rowing Machine with Wheels
If you want to spend less on a Marcy rower machine that comes with less bulk, then this particular model is for you. It provides a lot of great features for its price range. First and foremost, it offers total body workout that will allow you to burn fat in no time. And as the name suggests, it offers magnetic resistance adjustable to 8 different levels. Hence, it’s an ideal choice for lighter aerobic workouts to more strenuous strength exercises. The LCD monitor performs above standard.
Unlike other LCD monitors, it has a scan feature that switches between the different stats. No to mention, it has built-in phone storage and reading rack. The frame has 3 points of support, which holds up to 300 pounds.
- The multi-angled monitor gives a better view of all positions
- Foldable design for easy storage
- Built-in transport wheels
- Ergonomic foam handles and seat pad