A refrigerant detector is one of the best tools any HVAC technician will own. However, it is also a great tool for DIY fanatics that want to check for leaks in any HVAC system. These leak detectors are a great way to detect leaks as people move away from the traditional method of using liquid bubbles to detect leaks. Discovering a refrigerant leak in the past was quite difficult, but that has tremendously changed over the years with the introduction of refrigerant leak detectors. These detectors can help discover even the smallest leaks that are hard to discover through traditional methods that consume a lot of time.
However, buying a refrigerant leak detector is not an easy thing as the market is filled with different brands and models. This article aims at helping you make the right selection by narrowing down your search to only the best models. Read on and find one that works best for your HVAC system.
Table of Contents
- Table of Best Gar & Refrigerant Leak Detectors Reviews:
- 10. Portable AC Refrigerant Gas Leakage Detector Tester with High Sensitivity
- 9. Inficon TEK-Mate Refrigerant Leak Detector
- 8. FieldPiece heated Diode Refrigerant detector
- 7. Automatic Halogen Leak Detector by Robinair TIFXP-1A
- 6. HDE Portable Gas AC Refrigerant Leak Detector Air Conditioner Inspection Tool
- 5. Select Refrigerant Leak Detector by Inficon D-TEK 712-202-G1
- 4. A/C Gas HVAC Refrigerant Leak Detector by CISNO
- 3. REED Instruments 380 Refrigerant Leak Detector
- 2. Amprobe GSD600 Gas Leak Detector
- 1. HDE Portale Halogen Gas AC Refrigerant leak detector
Table of Best Gar & Refrigerant Leak Detectors Reviews:
10. Portable AC Refrigerant Gas Leakage Detector Tester with High Sensitivity
The Signstek comes with an excellent sensor that detects all forms of halogenated refrigerant gas leakage. The detector comes with a long 14-inch flexible stainless steel probe that can reach the tightest space of your HVAC system. There is also a single color LED that shows you a 6-leak alarm just in case there is a leak. This is a cheap option that senses leaks well and can be reset with ease. More: AC Vacuum Pumps
- Can get to the tightest places
- Detects all forms of leaks
- Easy to use
9. Inficon TEK-Mate Refrigerant Leak Detector
The Inficon is one of the best refrigerant detectors on the market with a great level of sensitivity. It is neither too sensitive nor way too far away from sense. It’s perfect senses of a leak and pinpoints the location. The electrochemical sensor in this unit works well with a ceramic substrate and a reactive element and that is maintained at high temperatures. There are no exaggerated responses here making this unit a good purchase.
- It is well-made
- It is durable and comes in a heavy-duty case
- Highly accurate
8. FieldPiece heated Diode Refrigerant detector
This is a more sensitive detector than others that trigger on all HCFCs, HFCs and CFCs. It uses a replaceable battery that can serve you for two full working days after the battery is recharged 15 h. The detector comes with a filter system that helps prevent the sensor from the damage of moisture and other contaminants. Manual and automatic zeroing help give the users pinpoint the exact location of the leaks. This is a very great refrigerant detector that is easy to use and operate. It starts first and will be up running in just 30 seconds. More: Diesel Transfer Tanks
- It is very sensitive
- Very easy to use
7. Automatic Halogen Leak Detector by Robinair TIFXP-1A
The TIFXP Robinair is UL listed, and SAE approved refrigerant detector with a true mechanical pump. It is a great pick and works efficiently sending a positive airflow through the sensing tip to help identify any leaks with ease. It comes with a 14-inch stainless steel probe that is highly flexible to pass through the tightest places. This is a very sensitive and easy to use the detector that will help save any future problems with your HVAC systems.
- Quite easy to use
- Works as described
- High precision in locating leaks
- High-quality detector
6. HDE Portable Gas AC Refrigerant Leak Detector Air Conditioner Inspection Tool
The HDE is one of the most advanced refrigerant leak detectors out there that recognizes all halogen HVAC system leaks with ease. The sensitivity of this detector can be adjusted anytime and set to detect any leaks automatically. The neck of the detector is flexible and allows it to get into tight places and detect leaks with ease. It is powered by the 4xAAA batteries that make it highly portable.
- Very portable
- Easy to use
- Auto-detecting ability
5. Select Refrigerant Leak Detector by Inficon D-TEK 712-202-G1
This is a cordless refrigerant which means it is highly portable and can be used at different places without being held back by the cord. It is a highly sensitive detector that gives accurate leaks pinpointing the exact location of the leaks with the highest levels of precision. It is a versatile pick that works well with almost all types of refrigerants. The unit is highly durable and the highest Inficon standards. The D-TEK Inficon is a versatile pick and one that is easy to use making it a good purchase.
- Quite easy to use
- Highest levels of precision
- Very sensitive
4. A/C Gas HVAC Refrigerant Leak Detector by CISNO
The CISNO is a good pick for detecting all 134a CFC&HFC refrigerants to the highest precision levels. When a leak is found, the detector gives an audio siren to alert the user of any leaks. There is a further reset function that gives users the ability to reset the meter and ignore any ambient halogen concentrations. It is a versatile choice to detect leaks in your entire HVAC system, and fittings help solve any issues before they worsen.
- Very affordable
- Easy to use
- Alerts users with an easy to hear audio siren
3. REED Instruments 380 Refrigerant Leak Detector
The REED detector is a versatile pick that works for HFCs, CFCs and HCFCs precisely detecting leaks and notifying the user early enough to make necessary repairs. The gooseneck for this detector is long 15 inches and highly flexible to reach the hard to get areas. The sensitivity of the detector can easily be adjusted from high to low with the detector giving a siren alarm when there are leaks.
- Works well in tight areas
- Easy to detect leaks
- Easy to use
2. Amprobe GSD600 Gas Leak Detector
The Amprobe is a good detector for noting small leaks in piping systems using the long flexible cord. The semiconductor senses both the propane and methane gas with ease. The stainless steel cable is long and maneuvers its way into those hard-to-reach areas. The audio buzzer will alert you in the case of leaks with the LEDs indicating the exact position of the leaks. The accuracy in this unit is one of the best, and this is enabled through the use of automatic calibration.
- Very accurate
- Works in tight areas
- Detects leaks to the highest precision
1. HDE Portale Halogen Gas AC Refrigerant leak detector
The HDE takes the number one spot on our list detecting leaks with very high accuracies. The detector is one of the best in the market and comes with advanced features that make it detect for all halogens Freon, CFCs, HFCFs and HFC refrigerants. The sensor is usually attached to an adjustable neck that allows it to get to those tight areas.
- Advanced features for highest precision