String trimmers, better known as weed eaters, are among the most reliable garden maintenance tools. They make trimming work quick and easy. Not to mention, most accept different attachments for more versatility. Currently, the market has a variety of models with different capabilities and features. So, getting the best string trimmer for edging and other lawn maintenance tasks can be a considerable challenge.
But we are here to save you the trouble. In this article, we’ve researched and reviewed the top models from the world’s most reliable brands. Therefore, without further ado, we present to you the best weed wacker to consider.
Table of Contents
- Table of the Best String Trimmers Reviews
- 10. Powerworks XB 20V Battery Cordless String Trimmer
- 9. Husqvarna 128LD Gas Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmers
- 8. Tanaka TCG24EBDP Split Shaft Commercial Gas String Trimmers
- 7. WORX WG163 GT 3.0 20V Cordless String Trimmers & Edger
- 6. HITACHI CG23ECPSL 22.5cc Gas-Powered String Trimmer
- 5. EGO Power+ 15-Inch 56-Volt Cordless Battery String Trimmer
- 4. Greenworks ST-120 40V Cordless String Trimmer
- 3. DEWALT DCST925M1 String Trimmer
- 2. BLACK+DECKER LSTE523 Li-On String Trimmer
- 1. Craftman V60 Cordless Weed Wacker String Trimmer with Quickwing
Table of the Best String Trimmers Reviews
10. Powerworks XB 20V Battery Cordless String Trimmer
Powerworks STP301 string trimmer gets the job done with no excuses. It uses a variable voltage battery, which provides up to 35 minutes run time. Overall, a single charge can clear up to 1/4 an acre. Again, the battery is compatible with more than 20 tools. Hence, you’ll save a lot if you have other Powerworks tools in your arsenal.
The STP301 uses an automatic feed head. As a result, it enables easy line advancement. Moreover, it has a variable speed trigger for maximum control. The aluminium shaft rotates 180 degrees, making it ideal for edging. For the record, the shaft measures 63 inches. Though you can’t adjust the length, such size is comfortable for most users. This string trimmer weighs only 5.98 pounds. Therefore, you can slice through weed without breaking a sweat.
- Lightweight construction (5.98 pounds) minimizes user fatigue
- Dual voltage battery offers an impressive run time of 35 minutes
- Variable speed trigger gives you full control
- 180-degree rotating shaft allows for precise edging
- Automatic feed head allows easy line advancement
9. Husqvarna 128LD Gas Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmers
Husqvarna has two string trimmers that share all traits and capabilities. These are the 128LD and 128CD weed eaters. The only difference is that the 128LD has a straight shaft. Hence, it’s the better choice for reaching under overhanging trees and bushes. But let’s look at it in more detail.
Husqvarna 128LD has a large 17-inch cutting head. Thus, it clears a larger area in one go. Also, it’s an all-purpose tool that accepts several attachments. That makes it efficient for almost any household trimming jobs. Instead of recoil start, this string trimmer uses an extremely fast and reliable Smart Start system. The 128LD trimmer weighs 10.8 pounds. Therefore, it’s one of the lightest among gas-powered models.
- Performance-oriented 2-stroke engine powers through thick weed easily
- Fast and reliable Smart Start system gets the job done faster
- An all-purpose design accepts multiple attachments
- Adjustable shaft makes it comfortable and easy to handle
- Rugged construction offers a longer service life
8. Tanaka TCG24EBDP Split Shaft Commercial Gas String Trimmers
This string trimmer offers commercial-grade performance that makes lawn maintenance a breeze. Like the Husqvarna 128LD, it has a Smart Start feature for easy start-up. That makes it ideal for those that demand fast throttle response. The split boom is another useful feature. It enables easy and quick connection when converting to other tools. Overall, it accepts four different attachments.
Again, it uses a solid steel shaft that reduces vibrations for additional comfort. As said earlier, this string trimmer accepts four other attachments. Well, the best part is that the entire process is tool-free. That’s made possible, thanks to the built-in spindle lock. Furthermore, this string trimmer has dual handles for better control. Not to mention, both are padded to lessen fatigue.
- Quick-connect shaft allows for faster drive shaft connection
- The multi-purpose design accepts four other attachments
- Smart Start system reduces pull force for easy start-up
- Integrated spindle lock allows for tool-free changing of attachments
- Solid drive shaft minimizes vibrations
7. WORX WG163 GT 3.0 20V Cordless String Trimmers & Edger
Worx WG163 is a 2-in-1 tool. You can switch from a trimmer to a lawn edger in seconds. Also, it comes with two 20-volt power share batteries. Well, that’s something you rarely find in most models. Essentially, you’re getting double the run time. As the name implies, these batteries are compatible with other power tools in the Worx Power Share family.
Moreover, this string trimmer uses a push-button line feed. It feeds in an instant to keep you working. Again, it has a 3-position head and grip handle. Hence, you can trim and edge on uneven terrain. Above all, you can access hard-to-reach areas easily. Though it packs a lot of features, Worx WG163 weighs only 5.3 pounds. Therefore, you can use it for longer without breaking a sweat.
- 2-in-1 tool (Converts from a string trimmer to a lawn edger)
- Two 20V batteries provide twice the run time
- Instant push-button line feed saves time
- 3-position tilting head provides a perfect manicure, even on uneven terrain
- Lightweight construction (5.3 pounds) minimizes arm strain
6. HITACHI CG23ECPSL 22.5cc Gas-Powered String Trimmer
Hitachi makes some of the best power tools. This gas-powered string trimmer is no exception. It uses a heavy-duty 22.5cc engine that’s as powerful as commercial grass trimmers. Like previous gas models on our list, it uses a Smart Start system. Thus, the start-up is effortless and more reliable. Also, this gas trimmer uses a tap and go feed head. Hence, you don’t have to stop to advance the line.
A solid drive shaft and padded handles minimize vibrations. Though not adjustable, the shaft has a generous length of 69.6 inches. Therefore, you won’t have trouble reaching higher branches. Moreover, this gas trimmer weighs 10.8 pounds. That makes it easier to manoeuvre and control.
- Effortless and reliable Smart Start system
- Anti-vibration solid steel shaft offers additional comfort
- Tap and go trimmer head enables continuous use
- Protective cover lessens wear and tear on the fuel tank
5. EGO Power+ 15-Inch 56-Volt Cordless Battery String Trimmer
Ego Plus is among the expensive cordless string trimmers, and for a good reason. It’s the first-ever string trimmer to use a 56-volt battery. So, it provides almost twice the run time of most cordless models. Instead of the standard motor, it uses a durable brushless motor. It’s highly efficient and provides unrivalled power.
Again, the motor offers variable speed to give you more control. This string trimmer has a 49-inch shaft. It’s adjustable to provide more reach. Moreover, this cordless string trimmer has a dual-feed line. Therefore, you have a ready replacement whenever you need it. Because of the large battery, this string trimmer weighs a bit more than other cordless models. However, the 9-pound weight is still comfortable for most users.
- 56-volt battery provides extended run time over other cordless models
- Highly-efficient brushless motor provides unrivalled power
- Variable speed trigger gives maximum control
- 49-inch extendable offers longer reach
- Ultra-efficient dual-feed line
4. Greenworks ST-120 40V Cordless String Trimmer
Greenworks ST-120 has one of the most advanced battery systems. First, it has a convenient USB port. Thus, it’s able to charge other devices. Also, it has a battery-level indicator. Therefore, you always know when to recharge. Apart from that, the battery is compatible with more than 50 Greenworks power tools.
On a single charge, it lasts up to 35 minutes. Again, this string trimmer has a light aluminium shaft and cushioned grips. Together with a lightweight construction of 8.3 pounds, it offers superior balance. For the record, this trimmer uses a bump feed head. This makes line advancement quick and easy.
- Battery-level indicator enables you to recharge in time
- An integrated USB port for charging other devices
- A lightweight aluminium shaft keeps the trimmer well-balanced
- 35-minute run time is enough to clear up to 1/2 an acre
- A cushioned grip offers superior comfort
3. DEWALT DCST925M1 String Trimmer
Despite the simple look, this string trimmer is powerful enough for commercial landscaping. Like most high-end models, it has a split shaft design. Thus, it’s easier to disassemble or put together without any tools. Also, the motor is located on the trimmer head. As such, it perfectly balances out the weight of the 20-volt battery.
This string trimmer has an over-mould trigger handle. It provides a comfortable and secure grip. Besides, it has a D-shaped guide handle that provides a ton of gripping options. This trimmer weighs 11.4 pounds. But thanks to the neutral balance, it feels a lot lighter. On a side note, this string trimmer uses a 20V Max battery that provides up to 45 minutes run time.
- Variable speed trigger lets you boost power or run time
- Ergonomic design minimizes user fatigue
- Rubber over-mould keeps vibrations to a minimum
- The power-drive transmission delivers more torque
- Split-shaft design makes it a breeze to disassemble or put together
2. BLACK+DECKER LSTE523 Li-On String Trimmer
There are a ton of reasons that make the LSTE523 one of the best -selling models. First, it gives you full control over power and runtime. For instance, you can settle for low speed to extend runtime. Alternatively, you can crank up the speed to deliver more cutting power. Not to mention, it uses a gear drive motor for increased torque.
Also, this trimmer uses a simple push-button system to advance the line. The shaft is extendable to provide ideal user comfort. Well, the LSTE523 is more than a trimmer. Should you choose, you can convert to a wheeled edger in seconds. Furthermore, it weighs 6.3 pounds, which makes it less cumbersome.
- The variable speed enables you to extend run time or boost power
- An extendable shaft gives more reach and accommodates a wide range of users
- 2-in-1 design easily converts to a wheeled edger in seconds
- An easy push-button feed system
- Power-drive system outputs more torque
- Lightweight construction (6.3 pounds) makes the trimmer less cumbersome
1. Craftman V60 Cordless Weed Wacker String Trimmer with Quickwing
Craftman power tools offer outstanding performance at a competitive price. Well, this weed eater is no exception. It’s part of the brand’s 60-volt cordless systems. As expected, the battery offers one of the longest run time. For instance, it offers up to 1.5 hours of use on power-saving mode. Again, the battery charges pretty fast in 45 minutes.
This weed eater has two speeds for optional run time or power. Also, it uses a brushless motor that maximizes both run time and motor life. The trimmer uses a quick-wind spool system, which makes line replacement super easy. Moreover, it has an adjustable handle and shaft for better control and added comfort. For the record, the shaft extends to 6 feet to provide more reach.
- The telescopic shaft fits your height
- High-performance brushless motor offers a longer run time
- Variable speed trigger gives you control over power and run time
- Quick-wind spool enables easy line replacement